Friday, August 31, 2007

Front Page News: First Place at the State Fair!


Well, It is official! My daughter McKenna won the first place blue ribbon and a $50 gift card to Craft Warehouse for the card she created during the Creative Card Making Contest at the State Fair. Her winning card is the star one to the left. McKenna, Macey and I entered the contest last year and had so much fun that we decided to enter again this year! And we were thrilled when McKenna won! The kids division was first and so Macey and McKenna sat by each other and were given a packet of materials to create from. All of the kids received the exact same materials to work with and they were given ten minutes to create their cards. After the ten minutes the judges viewed all of the entries and announced the winners and we were all thrilled and surprised when McKenna won first place. I couldn't have been prouder!

I was just as proud of Macey. First of all I loved her cute little card! It is the one to the left. She drew a picture of herself in front of the fair with a little caption that says, "Hey, Where is the State Fair?" She has a great sense of humor. But even better was to see her be genuinely thrilled for her sister. I don't think she even took one moment to register that she didn't win anything. She was too busy being proud of her sister and excited for her.




Well, after the kids division finished, it was time for the adult division. We were all given a packet of materials to work with and ten minutes also. My card is to the left. That is what I came up with in ten minutes... The hard part is that there is one pair of scissors, one paper trimmer and one tape runner for 4 people to share. That's tough when there is only ten minutes. My card is pretty simple. We only had paper, felt flowers, brads and punches to work with. I was seriously wishing I had some ribbon or twine, a paper peircer, some stamps or some rubons... But I guess the "creative" part comes in when you have limited supplies. Anyhow I won 3rd place with this card. I really loved these colors and the paper I worked with. I just may have to use my $25 gift card (3rd place prize) to go pick up some of this paper. :)


To make a great day even better, our local newspaper, The Statesman Journal decided to do a story about the card making contest and so we woke up this morning to see McKenna and Macey on the front page! There is also a nice little write up about me and McKenna winning, in which they quote McKenna as saying that I am a "scrapbooking freak." I don't know if I am going to live that one down. It was funny though. To the left is the picture from the front page of the Statesman journal and here is a link to the story: http://www.statesmanjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070831/STATEFAIR/708310307

Well that is our exciting news, just thought I would share!

4 comments:

mE said...

ROFL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS YOU SCRAPBOOK FREAK!

How fun is that? Love the cards, you girls did a great job!

Love ya!
Erin

Stampin n da Hood said...

I love the cards, too!
I can't believe yours only took 3rd.. what did the 1st place look like?!

ONE set of tools?
Are those people nutso or what?

Alisha said...

Yeah... I was trying to work so fast that I sliced into my finger not once, but twice with the paper trimmer... Does this remind you of anyone?

Susan H said...

Nice cards Alicia!! You and your daughters did a GREAT job. Didn't you take first place at last year's fair?

I can't wait to see your craft room finished!! I'm STILL working on mine! UGH! It's a retreat in progress.

~ Susan